Thursday, July 6, 2017

Reflection

Yesterday I was driving through Newtown, CT...on my way home from a yarn shop....and I had to pullover for two police cars and an ambulance...and I just thought...how does that affect the citizens of the town???  I can imagine there may be a moment of fear and anxiety, I felt it myself....

Today I got up the nerve to finally watch PBS' An Independent Lens Newtown...and cried though the entire documentary...

At the time, I had no connection to Newtown.....not even sure if I'd ever been to the town...although I think I may have been through it.....today, almost 5 years later, I have met one of the parents and have received a book for my classroom from another parent....I cannot imagine their lives, as any parent of a child who dies before their time, it must be, at times, unbearable....

I think, as a teacher, what would I have done in that situation?  One of the people who was interviewed remarked that he found one of the children with his teacher's arm around him...I just cannot imagine...and am tearing up again at just the thought....

It is scary that our country is more divided than ever.....I had to unfollow a cousin on Facebook because as a conspiracy theorist, he doesn't believe it happened.....I explained my reasons through a pm (I really don't believe in airing that stuff publicly)...and he was pretty cool about it, but did add "as long as I don't say that 9/11 wasn't an inside job." ****sigh****

we just celebrated the birthday of this great nation, and I love being an American.....but there are many things not to be very proud of lately...or in our history....but even if I can't always march or protest in the physical sense....I hope I am doing my part to make this country better by being a teacher....I really do think it is the most important job....and as one t-shirt says, "it makes all the other jobs possible."

And I'm going to leave you with a quote from one of the children that died that day....it is important to remember this....
                                                     Ana Grace Marquez-Greene - 6




No comments: