Tuesday, April 25, 2017

My New Normal

So fun fact....the medicine that I am on causes sun sensitivity....yeah...so along with the intermittent pain in all my joints and constant plantar fasciitis, I get this.....

On Monday, we had a fire drill.....outside in a shirt sleeved shirt for about 20-30 minutes.....rest of the day massive headache that would not go away and I hurt bad all day (I also had recess for about 10 minutes or so).......shrug it off.....

Tuesday...another fire drill, this one was real...the second grade set it off by making homemade rice crispy treats...outside for another 30 minutes (no recess that day)...really incredible headache for the rest of the day and nauseous, felt like I was on the verge of vomiting all day...light headed...almost passed out in the classroom (which I did do in the fall when I was brand new to this medication, plus on some other medication), along with a light rash.....

So decided to look up the two medications I am on...and yup, one of them (not the infusion one) can cause sun sensitivity....great...I have to go to a baseball game on Wednesday (it's a field trip)...so I went shopping....

I do not wear white, have very little of it in my wardrobe, I now have lots of it...plus a couple of light long sleeved shirts to throw on when heading outside, several bottles of sunscreen, one I will carry with me, one for my classroom, and one for home.....a new sun hat (I do have lots of hats, I love wearing them, but not usually wide brimmed ones) and a travel umbrella to carry in my bag at all times....

My friend Maureen said she won't recognize me!  I tend toward bold and dark colors....but since white refracts the sun, I've now added a bunch of it to my wardrobe...I'll be looking into buying specialized clothing...but needed something for this week.....

If the infusion medication works, I'll eventually be weaned off the other (I think), but it won't be for awhile...so this is my new normal....good thing I was never a sun worshiper!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Sorry you have to deal with these side effects, but glad to see you're coming up with workable solutions. Hang in there and feel better soon.