Friday, August 23, 2013

FO Friday: Ice Cream Cozy

This was in answer to a Nerd Wars challenge:

Discovery: To mark the 100th anniversary this year of Kamerlingh Onnes’s Nobel prize, honouring his pioneering work in the field of low-temperature physics, we would like you to craft something inspired by, or related to, the science or technology of things getting cold.

One of the acceptable things was to use refrigeration and the results of refrigeration....and my favorite result of refrigeration is ICE CREAM!!!  We always have some kind of ice cream in the house... and when I pull out a pint to nosh on, I always wrap a kitchen towel around the carton...well no more!

I actually made two, but only had one carton of ice cream....in trying to use up the yarn, I also made a coaster, which is now on my desk at school....

I purposely chose the yarn for the reminder of Neapolitan ice cream...a favorite from childhood birthday parties...I tied it to my nerdery: Stargate from a season 6 episode when the guys are eating ice cream in the Prometheus...

ETA: to add link to pattern...not my pattern...found through Ravelry...Ice Cream Cozy

So what did you finish?  Please join everyone over at Tami's, Creative Suburbia and Wisdom Begins in Wonder

10 comments:

Mlissabeth said...

An ice cream carton sleeve. What a great idea. And Neapolitan ice cream? Yummy!

Kate said...

How clever! It came out very nice :-)

Renee Anne said...

That is all kinds of awesome. Now, the real question: did you make it up as you went along and will there ever be a pattern (not that I can crochet, but I know others can)?

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Nope, did not make it up..thought I'd put a link in it...will fix that...not my pattern...

Nic said...

What a fab idea and perfect colours!

Unknown said...

I do love the ice cream colours x

katie metzroth said...

wickedly clever!

Andria said...

Love it. But then, I love ice cream and all things ice cream. A cozy, who would have thought!!!

Terri Paulson-Sasaki said...

Oh my gosh, that is a great idea. I always wrap a towel around the container - this is so much cuter.

Terri

WonderWhyGal said...

ooooh, I love this! What a perfect way to have the ice cream container on the counter.

I still need to submit my yarn for this challenge. Agggh! The month went by way too fast.