Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day 4 - Surprise Stop

Today was really a travel day...travel across Illinois.....not much to see west of the Chicago area on I80....and travel into Iowa....

This is the third state that I had not previously visited....or driven through....

Iowa....it's a pretty state, but LOTS of farms and silos....in fact we saw a sign that said, "Silos and Smokestacks Heritage Area"

So after stopping at a visitor center, I was able to find the future birthplace of James T. Kirk....the museum was closed, it was the 4th of July...but I still took pictures...
I took more pictures, but these tell the story...

Then we visited a place called the Amana Colonies.  The interesting surprise stop....I'd never heard of them before....we only went to Amana...there are seven villages...but we were running short on time....I really wanted to visit the mill....it is still in operation....I took lots of pictures, but am only going to load a few....I did also buy a wrap that was woven there...
I did not take a picture of my shawl...well I did, but it's on my phone..and I don't know how to do the netbook/phone thing...so when I post the other pictures..I'll post that...or maybe tomorrow...

We also took an ice cream break
And as the sun sets over Iowa.....we will head out tomorrow to Omaha and then to Mitchell, SD...

4 comments:

Caffeine Girl said...

I am so jealous that you got to the Amana Colonies! I am dying to go there -- and I only live in Wisconsin. I can't find anyone else who wants to go. And, given my broken leg, this probably is not the best summer to go. Sigh.

Your trip looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

If we had more time, I definitely would have visited the other villages..it was a very cool place...

Renee Anne said...

I've never heard of the Amana Colonies and I was born, raised, and had a child in Wisconsin...and I went to college in Iowa. Oh well.

As for the shawl thing, if you upload it to Ravelry from your phone (like if you have the Wooly App or something, but you can do it from a smartphone browser, too), when you write a post on blogger, you can do photos from a url and grab it from the Ravelry url :)

Just a thought.

Caffeine Girl said...

Hi,

The shoes are a brand I had not heard of before, Jambu. I got them at a locally owned shoe store. But I know I saw in them in a catalog somewhere!

D