Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Sound of Mumbai: A Musical

I just watched this documentary and it is one of the saddest things I’ve ever watched…why?  Because they focus on these children and these children, who have nothing, but dreams, begin to feel as if this will change their lives …and the sad fact is that it won’t.

It’s a good movie, in that it has some very touching moments…the little girls giggling over the flushing toilet….and the main child, Ashish has such positive energy. But underneath it all, is such sadness….and maybe, because I work with children living in poverty, I felt the letdown coming….I was hoping there would be an addendum on the end that gave us good news about these children…but no, it didn’t happen…

This is how I felt about “Slumdog Millionaire”  What a fabulous movie!  But to use those children from the slums and then return them to the slums is just criminal…and I know that reports have gone back and forth about money given to the parents, etc….but the children don’t understand…they think that their lives have changed…but when the movies are done…the adults walk away…how can someone in good conscious do that to a child?

I did some research and there is now a foundation set up to help the students in this movie further their education.  I will be donating…I hope some of you do too…You can go here to donate.

No comments: