Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blog Contests

I have been lucky enough to win several blog contests, in fact the last two I won were:

DSC03094 I got this in the mail today from “Almost Handspun” an indie dyer/spinner.  I love it, as it is half alpaca and so soft.  I’m thinking a big squishy hat or maybe a short scarf.  It’s 250 yards.  It would look so great cabled, but not sure I’m up to knitted cables yet.  I could do a crochet cabled scarf….I won it here

I also won DSC03076 this from Croatia.  The yarn is an acrylic/wool mix.  The pattern is very pretty, but beyond me at the moment.  I won this from Fridica, who also had previously won from me.  (How cool is that?)

Today I found out I also won some Claudia’s Handpainted Lace from here.  It is very pretty.  Very excited about it, as I was looking for some lace for a pattern I bought.

So even though I haven’t bought any yarn this year, I’m still accumulating it! 

Now onto a mini-rant about contests……I hate having to jump through hoops.  There is a contest that I’d love to enter for some needles.  However, there are 5 steps that MUST be done!  That is so frickin’ ridiculous! 

I don’t want to “like” anybody on Facebook.  I’m only on FB to keep in touch with friends and family.  I rarely used it before the emergency with my father last February.

I don’t want to have to “follow” anybody.  I don’t really get the following..Oh, I’m excited when I see I have a new follower, but I don’t actively seek them.  I guess it’s easier for some people to follow and read the blogs through readers.  I don’t read the blogs I follow that way.  I read them through my blogroll. 

In fact, my follow widget just got put back because it had disappeared when I changed formats and I couldn’t get it….now it’s back and it’s exciting…but I don’t want to make anyone follow me.  Also I rarely look at the blogs I follow, cuz some of them are not in my blogroll…must fix that…

I think the whole following thing is like cliques in high school.  You want to be part of the popular clique, but really those people who have 100 or more followers, are they really in touch with them? Just like the Queen Bee, she doesn’t know all the peons that follow her around in HS.  My 21 followers, which I’m really happy about, I visit their blogs too.  I reciprocate….

I don’t mind looking at someone etsy store and commenting on something, but don’t make it part of a many step process.

KISS people!!! Keep It Simple Stupid!  More people are bound to enter that way….

So hopefully I didn’t piss anyone off and you’ll keep coming back…..

8 comments:

Chrissy said...

I agree with you about the contest. I never enter if I have to Follow or Like. When I visit a site for the first time to enter a contest I take the time to read the profile of the blogger and read the last few posts. If I like the look of the blog I will Follow it because if I do that it automatically adds the blog to my blogroll. However I don't add people just because I have to. I read lots of blogs and I don't want to add to the list unless I'm going to enjoy reading the new blog. Telling me to do something is just going to get my back up!

Mimi Hill said...

You are 100% able to tackle cables. They are not difficult, I promise you. In fact, I wrote a post about tackling cables for the first time on my blog the other day, and how I was nervous of them before I realised their simplicity.

Using a cable needle (or spare DPN) to begin with makes it so very very easy. Barely more difficult than just knitting and purling.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the yarn wins! Lovely stuff. ;-)

As far as contests go, I'm with you. KISS. Not a very difficult concept.

Sherri said...

Lovely yarn. Congrats on your wins. The universe is trying to keep you happy. :)

Anonymous said...

So true about FB followers....I refuse to even join FB. I keep waiting for the craze to pass....no such luck yet.

Congrats on the new yarn! You are one lucky ducky, my friend. :)

Ziggyeor said...

Congrats on the win. It depends on if I like the rest of the blog or what the prize is but yeah I hate going through the whole rigamarol of liking on face book or then they want to give you extra votes if you post on your facebook and twitter :p

Allison said...

I only enter blog contests that are easy to enter. There's nothing wrong with a good rant esspecially when it's right on!

Tracey said...

Contests should definitely not be too hard to enter ... well done you for such lovely wins of late! :)