Saturday, August 21, 2010

Last Yarn Excursion of the Summer

Yesterday turned into a long day. I got up pretty early, but went back to bed and slept until almost ten, so I got a late start...

I had the names of five LYS's along the coast of Connecticut. Some I'd heard about, some I just found online...

The first one was a bust, they had closed, but in looking for it, I stumbled on "Beads of Paradise" in North Branford (site is not up yet) and bought some beads to make two sets....

Then I headed into Branford to "The Yarn Basket." This was such a friendly store! I bought my swap partner her yarn here and some other yarn for a personal swap. I got myself some Noro (it was on sale) along with a shawl pattern, plus some Malabrigo lace....I would definitely make a trip to this store again. The owner said they have a policy, "You buy at the store, you buy us." Meaning that buying yarn at the store, you come in and can get help anytime....



Then I headed east toward New London. I was hoping to meet up with a friend there, but made several stops along the way...

The next stop was "Madison Wool." Loved this store too! Really friendly and the owner, Michelle and I talked for a bit. She tries to carry lesser known brands and indie type yarns. I first picked up a skein of grey/silver Aussi Sock. I just liked the colors. Michelle drew my attention to a box she was unpacking of yarn from an indie person, "Alpine Meadow Artisan Yarns" out of Colorado. I was drawn to this yarn...what does it remind you of? (may be hard to see in the picture, there is a slight sparkle running through) Ruby Slippers! Well I had to get that yarn! She hadn't even priced them yet, was just taking them out of the box...Thinking of a scarf.....She also gave me a pattern that came with them...I also bought the Aussi Sock, as it was silver and the slippers were silver in the book....It was an Oz kinda day!


Moving on I went to Saybrook Yarn. Very nice store and friendly...Four people asked me if I needed any help....Got a skein of Cascade Yarns sock yarn and a skein of Plymouth Yarn Zino...The colors drew me and picked up something for my swapee...
.

It was a great yarn shopping day. The last place I stopped was closed for some reason. There was no sign on the door, but noone was there...Ummm....

I did stop and visit with my friend for a bit. By this time, traffic would be a beast going home, so I stopped to grab a bit to eat. Would have loved to have looked at this view while eating
...However, I would have also seen a view of this: so decided to face the other way....

Coming home, I missed my exit (it was karma) and went to the Outlets, got Hubs and myself new Fossils and got a new pocketbook for the fall....

All in all a good last day out....Today I am vegging, may not even get out of the pj's...

1 comment:

sara said...

What nice looking yarn shops! Have fun in your pjs!